The Order of Christ was created in 1319, by order of King D. Dinis, after the extinction, by Pope Clement V, of the Order of the Templars, one of the most famous Military Orders of Cavalry, founded in 1118, in the aftermath of the 1st Crusade. With a decisive role in the Reconquest period, in the military activity against the Moors and in the settlement of the territory, the Order of the Templars was also the owner of a vast patrimony that, by right, belonged to the Holy See, a fact that threatened the sovereignty of the king. With the pretext of defending the Algarve coast from attacks by pirates and Maghrebian pirates, D. Dinis manages to decree the creation of the new religious-military order. The 1st headquarters of the Order of Christ was then the Castro Marim Castle, with one of the most solid defensive systems in the entire Kingdom of the Algarve and located on the maritime border with Morocco and in the vicinity of the Islamic community of Granada.
“Castro Marim, First Seat of the Order of Christ” is an exhibition approved under the Interreg Spain-Portugal Program 2014-2020, supported by the European Union, co-financed 75% by the ERDF, project 0131_FOURTOURS_5_E.