As part of its training plan for 2021, Ideias do Levante – Cultural Association of Lagoa (Algarve), in partnership with the Municipality of Lagoa, will organize, on April 18, 2021, from 15: 00-17: 00, a workshop entitled “Age at learning a musical instrument: Experiences, evolution, performance and opportunities”, guided by Adriana Estrela, aimed at musicians, students, teachers, parents and all those interested in the theme.
It is intended to open a space for reflection on the following topics:
– What are the differences, advantages and disadvantages, challenges, for those who start learning a musical instrument, for example, at the age of four and those who start at a more advanced age?
– The moment and the way in which a musical instrument appears in our life, the decision, the choice, influences and results;
– The influence and role of teachers in the students’ journey when learning a musical instrument at different stages of life.
In the trainer’s own experience, as a cellist and also a cello teacher, of having started to learn a musical instrument when she was 16, she aims to share not only her own experience and research in different areas and stages but also to get to know other experiences and opinions.
Students who start learning at an advanced age face very different challenges than students who start at 4 or 5 years of age. In this workshop Adriana Estrela identifies these differences, as well as the means to overcome them.
The trainer will address how these students can face the challenges and determine the steps necessary to deal with a specific repertoire.
Registration and participation in this workshop is free of charge.
Registration for this training must be made in a timely manner using the online form [https://workshops.ideiasdolevante.info].
Via online through the Zoom platform
The data will be sent to the registrants who are validated (i.e., registration accepted by filling out the form and confirmation, in writing, of the validation of the trainee’s registration by the organization)
– This workshop lasts 2 hours and is taught in Portuguese;
– The training is aimed at musicians, students, teachers, parents and everyone who has an interest in the topic. Whoever learned, learns or lives with the dream of learning a musical instrument and never did;
– Each student must have a pen and paper, as well as their smartphone and / or personal computer that allows the use of the Zoom platform;
– All registration requests will receive a response email confirming, or not, participation;
– Registration is limited to a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 48 trainees;
– If the training is canceled because it does not reach the minimum number of participants, or due to another decision by the organization, there will be the possibility to reschedule the activity;
– Trainees will receive a certificate of participation, after attesting their attendance.
Adriana Estrela held concerts in Europe, North America and Asia, and participated in several Masterclasses with renowned musicians such as Matt Haimovitz, Colin Carr, Natalia Chakovskaia, Michael Mermagen, Richard Aaron, Christopher Hutton, Wen Sinn Yang (Sachrang, Germany – with scholarship total participation), Pinchas Zukerman, Xavier Gagnepain, Márta Mezö, Wolfgang Boettcher (Vaduz, Liechtenstein – with total scholarship), among others.
Adriana played in different orchestras, including the Feldkirch Festival Orchestra (Austria), the Northern Orchestra (Amarante – Portugal), the Junge Deutsch-Französische Philharmonie (Bayreuth, Germany) and The Augusta Symphony Orchestra (Augusta, GA – USA). He worked with different conductors such as Hilary Griffiths (USA), Dirk Meyer (USA), Levon Ambartsumian (USA), Pedro Moreira (Portugal), Osmo Vänskä (USA), Daniel Rowland, António Oliveira e Silva, José Ferreira Lobo, Maurizio Dini Ciacci , Marc Tardue, Rui Massena, Jan Dobrzelewski, Nuno Dario, José Marinho, Nicolaus Richter (Germany and Austria), Pedro Carneiro, Pedro Neves, Travis Jürgens (Kansas City MO, USA), Nathanael Pangrazio (USA), José María Moreno, Edward Polochick (Lincoln, USA), among others. She performed on the 515th anniversary of Santa Casa da Misericórdia in Lisbon with Portuguese singers Pedro Abrunhosa and Ana Moura, and with Roger Hodgson (Supertramp) on her tour of Portugal.
Studio appearances include recordings for TV Globo (Lisbon – Portugal), Bands (USA), among others.
In 2006 she was part of the Nova Harmonia Orchestra at the “Gala Romântica da TVI” conducted by maestro José Marinho, where she accompanied several Portuguese singers and bands.
She holds a master’s degree in Cello Performance from the International Center for Music-Park University, where she studied with renowned cellist Daniel Veis (winner of 2nd place in the Tchaikovsky contest).
Adriana received a scholarship from Santa Casa da Misericórdia from Lisbon (Portugal) and from the International Center for Music for his master’s degree at Park University.
He studied at the University of Georgia-Hugh Hodgson School of Music-Doctor of Musical Arts in cello performance-in the class of David Starkweather. He completed the Cello Pedagogy course at the same institution.
Adriana Estrela actively works on several projects related to cello performance.
Ideias do Levante is a cultural association, founded in 1995, based in Lagoa, Algarve, with regular and punctual projects in the areas of theater, music, dance, plastic arts, cinema, photography, literature, bio / wellness and marketing ( cultural and local).
More information about the association can be found via www.ideiasdolevante.info.
This initiative has the support of the following entities: Municipality of Lagoa, Union of Parishes of Lagoa and Carvoeiro, Estorninho.biz and Balance Café.