The history of the Municipal Gallery of São Brás de Alportel is linked to the history of the São Brás Cineteatro.
In 1991, the Municipality of São Brás de Alportel had already acquired the building of the old Cineteatro, built in 1952, where almost all conditions were missing. Even so, and because a strong dynamic of cultural activities was starting, some exhibitions began to take place in the building’s lobby. Initially, exhibitions related to local handicrafts and the project work of schools in the municipality; then touring various areas, from documentary, artisanal, painting or photography exhibitions. So, even before the Cineteatro recovery works started, twenty-four different exhibitions filled that space!
On July 24, 1994, Cine Teatro reopened its doors and was (re) opened, after a deep requalification. The former Bar room has now been transformed and converted into a Municipal Gallery.
Since then, the São Brasense Municipal Gallery has been gradually conquering its public. Its exhibition and exhibition space grew and diversified and, in the first five years of operation, the calendar of exhibitions did not occupy every month of the year, currently, the Municipal Gallery of São Brás de Alportel already receives proposals for one year for the next, which reveals the great demand for this space, both on the part of those who exhibit, and also by a regular audience that visits us regularly.