The Church of Mercy of Tavira is located in the city of Tavira, in the parish of Santa Maria. Built by Misericórdia de Tavira, its construction (1541-1551), is by André Pilarte, who also participated in the construction of the Jerónimos Monastery in Lisbon.
The Renaissance-style church consists of three naves, without chancel; its ceiling is supported by eight columns topped by Renaissance capitals. Its decoration features a set of blue and white tile panels from the 18th century, showing the 18 Works of Mercy (Spiritual Works, Bodily Works and the Life of Christ).
The main façade is considered one of the best testimonies of the Portuguese Renaissance in the Algarve. The main portico, a perfect back arch with ample decoration all’ antico coming from Italian engraved, being surmounted by the image of Our Lady of Mercy; this image, gathered under a canopy and flanked by two fluttering angels, is in the middle of the figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, and the coat of arms of the city of Tavira is still visible.