In 1583 the Manueline church of Espírito Santo was rebuilt, giving way to the current church of Misericórdia de Faro.
It is a mannerist temple with a centralized Greek cross plan, covered by a dome in the center.
In 1596 the church was set on fire by the English privateers of the Earl of Essex, forcing a new campaign of works and the renewal of its decorative program.
Inside, we can still appreciate the carved altars from the 19th century. XVII and a set of paintings that represent the “works of mercy”, in addition to a holy water font, conceived from a Gothic capital.
The damage caused by the 1755 earthquake required a neoclassical facade remodeling, a work carried out by the Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri at the end of the century. XVIII.
This church also has a small museum center where the visitor can appreciate works of sacred art belonging to the collection of the Misericórdia de Faro.