The construction of the Church began in 1744, having been ordered to be built by members of the Third Order of Mount Carmel. Its facade, however, was only finished in 1792. With a baroque style portico, the plan of this temple is in Latin cross. Rococo style predominates in the architecture of its interior.
Along its single nave, six side chapels are distributed: the first, on the Gospel side, is dedicated to the Prophet Elias – founder of the Order of Mount Carmel; at its front is the altarpiece of the chapel dedicated to Santa Teresa de Ávila; followed by the twin altarpieces of Santo Alberto and Santa Efigénia, opposite each other, on the Gospel side and on the Epistle side, respectively. Finally, next to the door, are the altarpieces of Santo António and Nossa Senhora da Conceição. The two altarpieces side by side with the triumphal arch are the invocation of Senhor dos Passos and Nossa Senhora das Angústias. In the main chapel, the main altarpiece stands out, as well as the painting of the vault ceiling with fake architecture and the central canvas with the representation of Nossa Senhora do Carmo, delivering the scapular to São Simão Stock. The authorship of the existing paintings is due to José Ferreira da Rocha and Joaquim José Rasquinho.